LEPL RAPHIEL DVALI INSTITUTE OF MASHINE MECHANICS
History of Institute
The Institute was founded in 1959 on the basis of resolution of the Council of Ministers of Georgian SSR (N750, September 22, 1959) and was named Institute of Machine Science.
The initiators of foundation of the Institute were academicians Raphiel Dvali and Vakhtang Makhaldiani, whose researches into the theory of the mobile machines and engines operating in the conditions of highlands were assumed as a basis for foundation of the Institute and formation of its basic trends.
In 1970 the Institute was renamed Institute of Machine Mechanics. In 1994 the Institute was named after Raphiel Dvali, and in 2006 the Institute was founded as a Legal Entity of Public Law-LEPL Raphiel Dvali Institute of Machine Mechanics.
Till election of the director, academician Vakhtang Makhaldiani was appointed (1959) Acting Director of the Institute of Machine Science.
In 1960-61 the Institute was leaded by Cand. of Techn. Sciences Giogi Ambokadze.
In 1961-72 The Director of the Institute was Cand. of Techn. Sciences Iovel Jebashvili.
In 1972-85 the Institute was leaded by the noted Georgian scientist and public figure, Academician of the Georgian Academy of Sciences Raphiel Dvali.
In 1985-1998 the Director of the Institute was again Iovel Jebashvili, Corresponding Member of Georgian Academy of Sciences, Professor.
1998-2006 the eminent scientist and public man, academician Robert Adamia was selected the Director of the Institute.
From 2006 the Director of the Institute was Doctor of Technical Sciences Tamaz natriashvili.
The main scientific directions
The basic scientific trends
The researches of fundamental as well as of applied character are carried out in the Institute. The scientific themes are presented by the following priorities: elaboration of the innovatory technologies in mechanical engineering and transport means; use of the non-traditional, renewable power sources.
The researches are carried out into the following scientific problems:
* reliability and durability of machines;
* mechanics (dynamics and vibrations) of machine systems and mechanisms;
* mathematical modeling, elaboration and development of the optimal methods of calculation of the machine plants and processes proceeding in them;
* elaboration of the rational design and engineer methods of calculation of the heavy machines and devices;
* research into the mobile machines;
* research into the heat-power plants, mainly internal combustion engines and conversion to the alternative fuels;
* elaboration of new nano-composite materials and technologies;
* elaboration of new technologies for obtaining the wear and corrosion-proof coatings;
* elaboration of the metal-saving technologies and devices;
* elaboration of the converters of the geo-thermal water, sea waves and other non-traditional energy sources.
The departments of the institute have laboratories equipped with the relevant scientific apparatus, where are disposed:
* testing stand for the 16 to 250 Kw power internal combustion engines;
* testing stands for the automobiles and vibratory machinery;
* plants and apparatus for the versatile testing of the materials properties.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.